Berkeley Economic Review—UC Berkeley’s premier undergraduate economics journal—is recruiting for Fall 2019! We are looking for students of all skill sets: writing, research, marketing, graphic design, copy-editing, peer review, and event planning. Our organization is open to students of all academic backgrounds and interests, and we would love to have you join the BER family!
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2019.
|Recruitment Timeline – Fall 2019|
|Find us on Sproul||Wed, August 28 – Fri, September 6 (9am-2pm)|
|Find us at Calapalooza||Thurs, September 5 (2pm-7pm)|
|Info Session #1 (Evans 639)||Thurs, September 5 (7:30-8:30pm)|
|Info Session #2 (Evans 648)||Fri, September 6 (7:30-8:30pm)|
|Applications Deadline||Sat, September 7 (11:59pm)|
|Interviews Announced||Mon, September 9|
|Interviews held on Campus||Tues, September 10 – Fri, September 13|
Why Join Us?
As a member of Berkeley Economic Review, you will experience the inner workings of one of the most prestigious undergraduate economics journals on the planet—we consistently publish the finest research from students at the world’s top universities, such as Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and the London School of Economics.
Sponsored by the UC Berkeley Department of Economics, we are the premier journalistic outlet for undergraduates interested in pursuing a career or graduate degree in economics. BER members work firsthand with professors, and have access to networking and other career opportunities with professionals in this field. The results speak for themselves: BER alumni have gone on to pursue a PhD in economics at the country’s top institutions and work at leading economic consulting firms, or research at various Federal Reserve Banks around the country.
In short, BER is the perfect opportunity for undergraduates looking to pursue economics outside the classroom. Members get in-depth experience with the process of economic research and learn about today’s most crucial economic topics. Most importantly, being a part of BER connects you with a friendly community of fellow students who are passionate about this subject, providing each other with invaluable academic and career advice.
While performing a wide variety of roles for the organization, our staff members collaborate to create and publicize the products BER offers to the world:
- Berkeley Economic Review, our namesake semesterly journal
- Equilibrium, our magazine
- original staff articles and research published on our website
- workshops and career panels open to all Berkeley students
Below, you can find descriptions for each of our openings, organized by our four administrative departments.
- Contacts economics professors and department advisers at universities around the world to solicit research paper submissions for the journal
- Reaches out to potential sponsors for fundraising opportunities
- Oversees the Essay Contest and solicits submissions from fellow UCB students by advertising in target classes
- Publishes staff articles and updates from BER on our website and social media
- Drafts and sends out BER’s biweekly newsletter
- Distributes the journal and printed copies of the magazine
Professional Development Associate
- Establishes relations with corporations and fellow organizations to host large scale events and workshops to benefit the club and the larger economics community.
- Introduces students to economics-related professionals and career opportunities
Layout & Design
Layout and Design Artist
- Designs format and layout of magazine articles
- Works on cover art and other illustrations for the magazine
- Formats layout of academic papers for the journal
- Supplies Advertising with needed marketing materials
- Creates data visualizations and graphics for web and print articles
- Experience in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator is recommended for applicants (not required)
- Reads and reviews submissions by preparing feedback during weekly discussions with fellow peer reviewers
- Completes general audience summaries/introductions for the accepted papers
- Decent grade in an econometrics course is highly recommended for applicants
Research & Editorial
Staff Writer (Quantitative or Qualitative)
- Conducts original research of interest and writes articles for the magazine and website with the help of assistant editors
- Responsible for conducting interviews with professors and GSIs to learn about their research and work
- Edits staff-written articles for the magazine and website
- Fact-checks and conducts background research for staff articles
- Responsible for helping craft professor/GSI interview questions and revise interview transcripts for quality assurance
- Copy-edits academic research papers and essay contest submissions for the journal
- Continuously maintains the BER website to ensure accessibility and accurate operation
- Help with designing and implementing new and improved features to represent the growth of Berkeley Economic Review
- Collaborates with advertising and management regularly to discuss current and future functionality
Remember to apply by Saturday, September 7th at 11:59 PM. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, through our Facebook page, on Sproul, or at one of our info sessions!